From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Emblem of Chung-Ang University
|Latin: Universitas Centralis|
|Motto||Live in Truth,
Live for Justice
|President||Lee Yong Gu Ph.D|
|Location||Seoul, South Korea|
|Revised Romanization||Jung-ang Daehakgyo|
Starting as a church-run kindergarten in 1918, CAU transformed into a female school for kindergarten teachers in 1922 and was granted university status in 1953. The university claimed 2018 to be their centennial. It has 33,600 undergraduates, 5,200 graduates, 700 professors and 500 more part-time teaching staff.
CAU is the first in South Korea to offer courses in Pharmacy, Business Management, Mass Communication, Advertising & Public Relations, Creative Writing, Photography, and Drama & Film Studies, and is active in Pharmacy, Media and the Arts.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Campus
- 4 Student life
- 5 Medical center
- 6 Notable alumni
- 7 Miscellaneous
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Establishment 1918-1932Chung-Ang University began with the establishment of Chung-Ang Kindergarten as an annex to the Chung-Ang Methodist Church located in Insa-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul, in April 1918.
Chung-Ang Kindergarten originated as a branch of Jungdong Church in 1916 and separated in 1918.
In 1922, the Japanese enacted legislations against kindergartens to restrict expansion, however, other kindergartens including Susong, Kyungsung and Taewha, and kindergartens in Gaesung and Pyongyang were founded by 1924.
Adversity 1933-1945The social conventions in the 1920s made it difficult to recruit female students but a Teacher Training Program was established and kindergarten teachers were educated, which can be seen as a development in the modern history of teaching in Korea. Undeterred by the hostile conditions, graduates were posted to kindergartens in cities including Hamhung, Hweryung, Busan, Masan, Jeonju, Anak, Cheonan, Sariwon, and Milyang. Thus, the Chung-Ang Kindergarten Teacher Training Program took on the role of a Professional Educational Institution.
By 1922, the Chung-Ang Teacher Training Program, in partnership with the Community Education Movement of various Japanese-Resistance organizations, was promoted to a Kindergarten Teacher Training School. Although its legal status was registered as a Miscellaneous School, its standing in social perception was considered equivalent to that of a Professional School with a 3-year degree course.
The reformed Chung-Ang Teacher Training School continued to face obstacles in management. With ten students, the school was forced to relocate to a private residence in 1932 due to financial and personal circumstances of the management, as the Japanese and accomplices continually plotted to divide the community.
After nine years in U.S., she returned to Korea in January 1932 and was determined to devote herself to the nation, which was still under Japanese rule. As she toured the country for her first role as the Director of the YWCA, she realized that she needed to start with education to save the people.
Her savings of 30,000 dollars earned from farming, truck driving, and vegetable wholesale operation in U.S. was used to purchase a site at Heukseok-dong on which to build a school and took leadership of Chung-Ang Teacher Training School. Through Dr. Young-Shin Yim, Chung-Ang began to envisage its development as the cradle of national education.
Despite its relocation to Heukseok-dong, Chung-Ang Teacher Training School lacked facilities. So Dr. Young-Shin Yim rented Pearson Bible School to hold classes. However, there was a limit to Dr. Young-Shin Yim’s personal finances and with the Japanese prohibiting contributions, the development of the School continued to face financial difficulties.
Believing that the only solution was to raise funds from U.S., Dr. Young-Shin Yim worked to promote donations in the U.S. As a result, she was able to return home having established the Pfeiffer Foundation in U.S. to financially support Chung-Ang Teacher Training School.
With this, the first stone building was erected on the grounds of Heukseok-dong in April 1937, to become Young-Shin Hall upon its completion in May 1938, which forms the heart of Chung-Ang today.
Students subsequently founded Chosun Kindergarten Education Society, and took charge of the social education plan through concerts, plays and literary activities.
In 1937, the Japanese waged war against China, and in 1941 attacked Pearl Harbor, signalling the start of the Pacific War. Chung-Ang Teacher Training School was heavily targeted in view of the fact that Dr. Young-Shin Yim was educated in U.S. and a devout Christian.
The Communications Unit of the Japanese Army attempted to take siege of the school, but their efforts were blocked by the strong resistance of Dr. Young-Shin Yim. By the end of WW2, under pressure from the Japanese forces, the school was no longer able to admit new students, and the school was closed in 1944.
Construction and development of a comprehensive university 1946-1955As Japan was defeated and Korea liberated, Dr. Yim reopened the doors to Chung-Ang Teacher Training School on 28 September 1945, and established the school motto, “Live in Truth, Live for Justice”.
On 1 October of the same year, Chung-Ang Teacher Training School was re-organised under the name of Chung-Ang Professional School for Women and followed by the Admissions Ceremony. The Foundation, Chung-Ang Culture Institute, was established in November 1946, and its legal registration was completed by the following year.
Whilst Dr. Yim served as a national diplomat in the United Nations, obtaining their endorsement to build a new Korea, she also continued her efforts in developing the school and was appointed Dean and Chairman of the Board.
Although the college celebrated its first conferment of a Bachelor’s Degree in May 1950, it was again indefinitely closed due to the outbreak of the June 25 Korean War. Students were re-admitted subsequent to the September 28 reclaim of the Country, but soon the school had to flee to Busan and set up a temporary office there in the event of January 4 Retreat of Korea's allied forces.
Upon Dr. Yim’s return to the country in April 1951 after completing her diplomatic duties in U.S., the school started to give lectures in Song-do, Busan. Later, it installed branch campuses and lectures in Iri and Seoul.
Chung-Ang College continued to provide education during the war times. As a result the second, third and fourth Bachelor Degree Conferment were held during the war years in Busan, in 1951, 1952 and 1953.
The school continued to provide education during the evacuation to Busan and was recognised as a comprehensive university in February 1953. Thus, with nine departments under four component faculties including the College of Liberal Arts & Science, College of Law, College of Business, and College of Pharmacy, and a Graduate School, Dr. Yim was appointed as Chancellor of the University.
The teaching faculty returned from Busan to its original site in Heukseok-dong, Seoul in August, following the declaration of ceasefire in the Korean War in July of the same year. However, lectures had to be taught in temporary buildings as the site was still occupied by the U.S. Army. The site was eventually recovered after one semester in April 1954, and the area reorganised for the development of the university.
The university continued to expand to the scale of 19 departments under four faculties, and a population of 2,850, between 1955 and 1959.
To accommodate the increase in departments and students, a four-storey building, Pfeiffer Hall, was constructed across approximately 2,500 pyeong in 1956, and Chung-Ang Library constructed across approximately 3,800 pyeong in 1959.
Concurrently, International Culture Research Institute was established to enhance research activities.
Partnerships were forged with Young-Shin Junior High School, Young-Shin Girls’ Junior High School, Nakyang Junior High School, Nakyang Technical High School.
Preparation for takeoff 1956-19791960 saw the 4.19 Revolution, where the CAU students educated under the motto of “Truth and Justice” protested against the 3.15 Rigged Elections. Furthermore, despite the many challenges faced with the control policy affecting student-intake for the alleged qualitative improvement of universities, which was introduced in the wake of the 5.16 Military Coup in 1961, CAU was able to appoint Dr. Sung-Hee Yim as its second chancellor on 2 October 1961. Later Dr. Young-Shin Yim was re-appointed as the third chancellor, she was able to continue ensuring the internal stability of the university.
In January 1965, the College of Liberal Arts & Science was segregated into the College of Liberal Arts, College of Science & Engineering and College of Education, whilst the College of Law, College of Business, and College of Pharmacy were combined to form six colleges. Furthermore, the partnered Middle School and High School were renamed in affiliation with the College of Education, and an affiliate Elementary School was newly established under the Foundation, allowing the delivery of a coherent educational philosophy from kindergarten to graduate school.
In February 1967, the Graduate School of Social Development was established to train specialists and promote industrial links. In 1968, the university was again reorganised into the eight component faculties, including College of Liberal Art, College of Science & Engineering, College of Education, College of Law, College of Political Science & Economics, College of Business Administration, College of Agriculture, and College of Pharmacy, for the systemization of education impacting the affiliate organisations. The College of Medicine was installed in December 1971, and Sung Shim Hospital, based in Jung-gu, Seoul, was incorporated as an affiliate hospital.
July 1961 saw the construction of Jin Sun Hall across approximately 1,400 pyeong, and the University Theatre across 1,920 pyeong. In October of the same year, the Social Development Hall was constructed across 1,600 pyeong. The Archives were reorganised to mark the 50th anniversary in 1968. The Blue Dragon Monument was erected to safe-guard artefacts and documents for the next 100 years, and Seungdang Hall built. Bobst Hall, covering 3,200 pyeong, was built the following year, December 1969. The Sung Shim Hospital of 1,395 pyeong was affiliated.
By this time, the founder of CAU, Dr. Young-Shin Yim was over 70 years old and finding the workload physically gruelling. Thus, she charged Dr. Chull Soon Yim to succeed her as the fourth chancellor of CAU.
Jin Sun Hall was extended in October 1972 for construction of 3,100 pyeong of Seorabol Hall, and 2,400 pyeong devoted to the construction of Natural Hall as part of the College of Medicine in 1974. The Students’ Union Building was constructed in December 1976 over 2,000 pyeong, and in June 1978, a new annex provided over 1,450 pyeong for the affiliate Sung Shim Hospital, based in Pil-dong, Jung-gu, Seoul.
In February 1977 Dr. Young-Shin Yim, the founder of CAU, died.
In March 1980, lecture halls, dormitories and a Students’ Union were built across 2,417 pyeong, 1,706 pyeong, and 597 pyeong of land respectively in Anseong-si, Gyeonggi-do, to create the Anseong Campus.
Adversity after expansion 1980-1986Following the end of his term as chancellor, Dr. Chull Soon Yim was succeeded by the professor of Philosophy, Dr. Suk-Hee Lee, as the fifth chancellor in May 1980.
The Graduate School of Journalism was established in November 1980 to train professional journalists, and Heukseok-dong equipped with education facilities accordingly. In December, a 0.9-acre annex was built for the affiliate hospital to improve the education environment for the College of Medicine.
Improvements to facilities happened at the Seoul and the Anseong campuses.
In October 1981, faculties in Anseong were reorganised under the College of Foreign Languages, College of Social Science, and College of Home Economics. Seoul and Anseong sites were listed as the university’s primary and secondary campus, respectively. The Department of Music was segregated from the College of Arts and newly established as the College of Music in October 1981. The College of Agriculture was reorganised as the College of Industrial Science. The Graduate School of Construction Engineering was added to the roster of faculties in September 1983. After the establishment of the College of Construction Engineering in the secondary campus in Anseong in October 1984, the secondary campus had seven colleges.
Dr. Byoung Jip Moon succeeded to Dr. Suk Hee Lee as the 6th president in March 1985. Moon began to reorganize the management operating system. The Office of Career Planning was established. The management of the Chung-Ang Cultural Institute and the Medical Center were modified. The departments of French Language & Literature and Japanese Language & Literature were reinstalled, and the Department of Industrial Information created. The construction of a Central Library in the second campus was promoted.
Realization of vision 2008Dr. Bum Hoon Park was inaugurated as the 12th University President in February 2005. As his first assignment upon election, he oversaw the evaluation of the Korean Council for University Education, marketing of capital, BK21, establishment of the Professional Graduate School of Law, and other national enterprises.
Restructuring of the Education Science Technology Faculty, which had been the greatest pending issue, was so successful it was nominated a leading university and awarded grant maintenance (KRW 9,100,000,000) comparable to that of major competitor universities, in spite of its 1-year probationary period.
Following the restructuring of the undergraduate programmes, recruiting of new admissions, registration of current students, financial situation and overall management records of the three professional schools and 11 specialised schools, were analysed to identify the areas for improvement and enhance teaching quality. Thus, 32 out of 42 staff from the professional schools and specialized schools were reassigned to the general graduate school, and 10 positions reduced. The members reassigned to the general graduate school have been resourced to serve as the primary models in forming the Research Priority Group (Staff), for the construction of a research-centric regime.
DRAGON 2018(2001–2004), which was the development plan devised under the 11th university president to carry the university towards the university target vision by the Centenary Anniversary, was re-branded as CAU2018+(2005–2008). CAU2018+ lists the valuation index for various industries and the source of expected revenue in detail. To accomplish the goals, CAU2018+ was implemented in two stages.
For the first four years of Dr. Bum Hoon Park’s term in office, resources were heavily invested in education/research equipment. Thus, the nation’s largest Law Hall was constructed in February 2007, and a master plan drawn up for the construction of the Pharmacy and Natural Science R&D Centers around the Main Entrance in Campus 1, and an Engineering R&D Center by the Gymnasium,
In 2008, the Media Practice Section was established in the Law Hall and 400 additional wards were added in the affiliate hospital. Accordingly, the Chung-Ang Site Construction Plan, included in the CAU2018+ Development Plan was set in motion.
In November 2007, authorisation was obtained from Hannam-si, for developing a tertiary, Hannam Campus. Camp Colbern, which was previously a US Army instillation of 86,000 pyeong will be renovated for the purpose. A team will be banded per subject field to oversee the management.
244 full-time teaching staff were recruited between 2005 and 2009, and in the first semester of 2009, 25 full-time and part-time staff were recruited.
Law and Medical Schools were established in March 2009.
In May 2008, a global corporation, Doosan Group, was incorporated as an educational institution, and Yong-Sung Park was elected as the 9th Chairman of the Board.
The appointment of Chairman Park, who negotiated the industry-shift of Doosan Group from consumer goods to heavy industry, symbolises the rebirth of the university. Within 80 days of taking office, a meeting was held with the teaching staff on 27 August 2008, where the CAU2018+ Mid-Term Development Plans were announced along with the new strategy direction of “Choice and Concentrate, Strengthening of Executive Ability, Establishment of Virtuous Cycle Structure”.
The Degree Management System has been strengthened to encourage students to study diligently, as in order to graduate, students have been made to attain a minimum level in compulsory subjects such as English and Accounting.
In order to the support this type of research, education and practice more effectively, an R&D Center for the College of Pharmacy and new Dormitories for students were constructed, the Central Library renovated, and the hospital extended to fit 300 additional wards.
Research projects are also being supported by the Special Committee for Strengthening the Research Marketability.
Such changes have already resulted in the designation of six new companies in the second stages of the BK21 enterprise, and a budget of KRW 6 billion being allocated to the leading research team, thus implementing the “choice and concentrate” strategy.
The direct election system for presidency was abolished, and replaced by the appointment system. Consequently, the 12th President, Dr. Bum Hee Park, was re-appointed into office as the consecutive 13th president.
The largest project being persevered by Dr. Bum Hee Park and the corporation, is the establishment of Hannam Campus. In 2007, a Memorandum of Understanding was exchanged with Hannam, and thus preparation for the creation of Hannam Campus are currently underway.
As of February 2009, Chung-Ang University, as a comprehensive institution, has produced one general graduate school, five professional graduate schools, 11 specialised graduate schools, 18 modularised colleges in the campuses across Seoul and Anseong, and issued a total of 147,196 Bachelor Degrees, 29,940 Masters Degrees, and 4,275 Doctorates.